Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What is this creature?


My tomato plants were not looking so good. 

Upon inspection I discovered that we were sharing them with something else. At first I thought it was an unripe tomato, but when I looked closer I could see it was a life-form unlike anything else I have ever seen - despite being a keen gardener and having made several trips to many of the worlds finest museums.



It was clearly some kind of caterpillar, but based on it's size it I felt it was likely metamorphose into a butterfly the size of a pterodactyl. And then where would I be? Note: That is a human finger behind it! Which makes it a good 4 or 5 inches long. 


Obviously I had to remove it, but could not be sure it was not poisonous and/or vicious. I suggested to my wife that if she were to grab it quickly, she might gain the element of surprise and easily dispose of it with an overhand lob into our neighbor's back yard, but she could not be persuaded to undertake the task. So grabbing some essential hunting supplies I went to remove it. My initial plan was to throw a painter's drop cloth over it to cause disorientation and then bludgeon it to death with a hammer. I also brought a propane torch and a shotgun with me, just in case. As I commenced the battle, it fixed me with it's steely gaze and gnashed its teeth in a very hostile manner, and I was glad of my heavy duty welding gloves.


After 20 or so minutes wrestling with the beasts, (yes, beasts, there were actually two of them,) I managed to dislodge them, and throw them in a gunny sack. My plan is either to relocate them to a North Georgia Wildlife preserve, or donate them to the Smithsonian Museum.

Now I am concerned that the two specimens will breed and take over the world?



Anyone ever seen one of these foul creatures?